Sunday, August 31, 2008

family reunion

toady we are just outside pittsburg to attend dan's family reunion. my family (aunt cheryl's side excluded) cant be bothered to spend time catching up and enjoying eachother via this sort of event so i am really out of my element.

last night we had a wine and cheese meet and greet. of course i hardly knew let alone recognized anyone so the opportunity to embarress myself didnt take long to present itself. i sat nathaniel down at a table with a plate full of food where a distant uncle was sitting. the the following conversation ensued:

me: nathaniel, this is your great uncle john. you can sit next to him, he doesnt bite.
uncle john: oh yes, you can sit next to me.
uncle john's wife: actually this is your uncle roger

we do have an uncle john but he is like 20 years older than uncle roger. after that i just decided not to assume that i knew anyone there. today we are going to a big RV park for festivities (i know some of you are chuckling at that) where there will be about 80 distant relatives so stay tuned for more stories. there is a black family reunion somewhere nearby today too because there are quite a few people staying at our hotel. how do i know? because they are all wearing "cook-larson family reunion september 1, 2008 parker park". so my heart swells with gratitude - i am NOT expected to wear a family shirt.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

haha...can't WAIT to hear more stories! I'm laughing out loud...oh yes, please tell more embarrassing stories...

Webkinz Woman said...

Family Reunion?!! Great!! Wonderful!! It's a great way to make new friends and discover your children's heritage. Davian had mentioned to me last Friday that she was looking forward to seeing Papa Bob's uncles but I didn't realize that it was a full blown family reunion!! :)

I'm just cracking up...you finally got to experience a real family reunion with distant uncles, cousins, ant the whole bit. How was the food?